Recently Jane Bozarth tweeted
We need to cease calling them “learning technologies” and begin asking, “How can this technology be used to support learning?”
— Jane Bozarth (@JaneBozarth) May 23, 2019
So listed below are 10 reasons why you don’t need devoted learning applied sciences to enable and assist learning at work. Can you consider any extra?
- Learning is everybody’s duty; not one thing to be managed and managed centrally utilizing specialist instruments and platform.
- Learning applied sciences separate learning from the work and day by day life. My 12-year longitudinal research Top Tools for Learning reveals that the most well-liked and essentially the most useful instruments for learning are multi-purpose; i.e. they can be utilized for a lot of completely different reasons.
- Learning isn’t one thing that’s achieved to folks, most of it occurs by way of day by day work actions and explorations on the Web. Hence work instruments and platforms and Web instruments and platforms are the actual “learning technologies”. These are those that ought to be inspired and promoted.
- Learning is about motivation not gamification; it’s about tapping into what motivates folks to study – empowering them to enhance and develop for their very own futures (not simply the organisation’s) – and recognising that by doing so there’s a win-win.
- This means encouraging them to self-select the sources, instruments and companies that can assist them study in the way in which(s) that brings them essentially the most worth – not imposing one-size-fits-all “solutions” that not often swimsuit anyone’s wants.
- Learning is a private expertise; it comes from all types of interactions and actions. Learning experiences will not be one thing that may be generated, tracked and managed on one platform.
- Team collaboration platforms and enterprise social networks are the place the actual social learning takes place – so that is the place you ought to encourage folks to join, converse and collaborate – not in a separate social learning platform.
- When comes to content material and “learning opportunities”, don’t assume NIH (Not Invented Here) and reinvent the wheel. Curate what’s already accessible and make it accessible as shut to the purpose of need as potential (i.e the place folks go for different inside content material) – not in a silo (learning platform) that’s not often used.
- If some particular (organisational) content material is required, then don’t create and impose unpopular and unappealing (e-learning) programs on folks; present brief, flexible-use sources that may be produced in a wide range of codecs.
- Finally, it’s not measuring about learning “activity” – i.e what folks do, it’s about measuring what folks can do on account of what they’ve discovered. It’s about efficiency change or enchancment. A learning platform/LMS may be helpful to observe entry to necessary coaching (if you have a variety of it), however it will probably’t observe efficiency enhancements, and it definitely can’t seize all the things everybody learns.
For some this would possibly sound like radical considering! But learning within the fashionable office requires a brand new organisational learning tradition and mindset – and, extra importantly, new work for L&D. Want to discover out extra? Take a glance at my Modern Workplace Learning 2019 resource.